ed at horch dot org
This resume is also available in plain text and
Word formats. A description of the types of
work I'm looking for can be found here.
Recruiters: I am only seeking employment within a 45-minute drive
of Bridgewater. In particular, this rules out New York City as well as
Hudson and Bergen counties. Neither relocation nor extensive travel are
options. I am only seeking full-time direct employment.
Once more with feeling:
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Software Engineer with over 25 years of experience in all phases of
Unix-based software development within global corporate settings.
Expertise in software configuration management and integration.
Skilled in managing and delivering small and challenging projects
within large systems, as well as interacting and coordinating with
internal and customer organizations. Resilient and adaptable to
changing project needs. Proactive, self-starter with excellent spoken
and written communications skills. Accomplished C/C++ and shell
programmer at system or application level. U.S. citizen with active
Secret security clearance.
|Present Employer, NJ
|Senior Software Engineer
ClearCase/System administrator and development lab architect for
large distributed development effort.
- Deployed and administered ClearCase MultiSite 5.0 through 7.0.
- Achieved four-nines uptime for core servers and NAS.
- Specified and built out 100-machine development/testing laboratory for
same organization including client workstations and embedded
hardware test beds.
- Optimized MultiSite code delivery process saving thousands of
staff-hours per year project-wide.
- Automated configuration and installation of 40+ development tools
and support libraries on development workstations.
- Administered and supported ClearCase usage at several other sites.
- Supported 100 lab users both locally and at remote sites.
- Negotiated special CM policies for local site to accommodate
cross-company issues with other prime contractor.
- Acted as subject matter expert for ClearCase, providing
consultation to other projects, as well as to other sites
within primary project.
- Received multiple written commendations from prime contractor.
- Deployed internal web site with trouble ticketing, group calendar,
document repository, etc.
- Passed many government and internal property audits.
- Assisted with IT support during wholesale network migration.
|Leapstone Systems, Somerset, NJ
|Software Configuration Management Engineer
Software Integrator for 80-engineer startup across sites in USA,
Canada and India.
- Deployed ClearCase 5.0 with UCM in mixed Solaris/AIX/Windows XP,
- Deployed ClearCase/ClearQuest integration for US-based projects.
- Deployed a small set of ClearCase triggers to enforce fundamental
- Negotiated SCM policies across all development teams.
- Defined UCM projects, branching scheme, naming conventions and
- Developed and maintained single set of build scripts used by all
projects, enhancing them as project needs changed.
- Constructed internal web site that:
- Enabled lead developers to initiate official product builds
and enforce code checkin policies.
- Automated the preparation of formal handoffs to QA.
- Streamlined change request movement.
- Reported build and release status and documented all
policies and procedures.
- Performed all official product builds.
- Enhanced web services to allow projects' technical leads to
enforce code checkin policies as they changed throughout the release
- Supported and trained users.
- Acted as backup ClearCase/MultiSite administrator.
|Hewlett-Packard Co., Florham Park, NJ
Product Manager and Lead Developer for Rock Ridge extension to
HP-UX CD-ROM file system.
- Wrote requirements, project plan, design documents and
high-level test plan. Supervised test engineer.
- Ensured customer needs were met by coordinating work with large
external customers and internal HP organizations.
- Coded all kernel and userland extensions. Enhanced affected
- Completed project through successful alpha trial on customer
site when business decision was made to close facility.
Developer for core HP-UX integration and ClearCase deployment.
- Designed and implemented high-level makefiles to tie disparate
HP-UX network, kernel and commands source bases into a single
buildable source tree within ClearCase.
- Standardized all makefiles for parallel build support and
maximized build avoidance and wink-in.
- Enhanced build environment for multiple target hardware
platforms as well as change control of the compilation system
- Documented many tips, tricks and traps for makefile writers.
Developer and Integrator of access control lists for journaling
- Completed and delivered access control list capabilities for
HP-UX’s journaling file system.
- Wrote delivery plan analyzing impact of wide spread code changes.
- Developed acl(2) system call API, created or modified 18 user
- Debugged and enhanced outsourced functional test suite while
using it to test feature.
- Wrote man pages for new commands and APIs, modified man pages
for changed commands.
Developer and Administrator of file system test facility.
- Designed, built and administered 15-machine test ring for HP-UX
core file system team.
- Each machine could boot multiple OS versions used to run several
regression test suites for changes to the kernel or userland code.
- Reused much hardware, avoiding costly upgrades.
- Set up web-based reservation system for the test ring.
- Deployed several prototype V-class and Superdome machines with
terabyte-scale disk arrays for specialized file system
performance and scalability testing.
|Unix System Laboratories/Novell Inc., Summit, NJ
Architect for ClearCase conversion.
- Participated in evaluation of commercial tools to replace the
existing source control and bug tracking tools used for the
UnixWare and NetWare products.
- Designed large set of trigger scripts to integrate ClearCase
with existing bug tracking system, enforcing policies which
varied from project to project.
- Designed and implemented tool for conversion of existing source
base into ClearCase.
Integration Engineer for C/C++ compilation system.
- Provided SCM and build support for UnixWare’s C/C++ compilation
- Automated and standardized processes, reducing build turnaround
time by a factor of eight.
- Resolved circular code dependencies between the compiler and the
|Technical Consultant, various locations
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Middletown, NJ
- Technical lead of team of five engineers providing integration
support for twelve medium-sized development projects.
- Developed tools to standardize and automate integration
Bell Communications Research, Piscataway, NJ
- Participated in development of a telephone management system for
Centrex end users.
- Designed interpreter in C++ that enhanced maintainability by
replacing large amounts of repetitious code with short scripts.
AT&T Information Systems, Holmdel, NJ
- Participated in development of call processing firmware for
- Implemented conference call and call transfer features.
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Liberty Corner, NJ
- Member of testing team for a large data networking product.
- Wrote and executed detailed integration and regression test plans.
|DataStat Corp., Huntsville, AL
- Designed and developed menu-driven configuration firmware for a
LAN interface and statistical multiplexor product.
- Designed and implemented an automated test harness for the same
product that comprehensively exercised every unit as it came off
the assembly line.
- Implemented a Unix device driver for a DEC CR-11 card reader.
- Participated in implementation of a plotter-based simulator for
a numerically-controlled punch press.
- Designed and developed a system to estimate the completion
dates of vocational school students.
B.S., Computer Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.
Last modified: 30 October 2007